Monday, November 22, 2010

Love is Love

I got motivated for this blog when reading my friend Casey's about her support for gay marriage. A friend of hers commented like many people I know do: they don't agree with banning it, but disagree with the homosexual lifestyle. And many religious friends say, like this commenter noted, that allowing homosexuals to marry goes against the "sacredness" of marriage that is intended only for a man and woman.

But, if you ask me, there is nothing more sacred about straight marriages than gay marriages. I mean, look at all the cheating scandals, 5-minute-marriages, lies, etc. that are strung across tabloid headlines in recent years. Hell, even way back when,, Elizabeth Taylor was married eight different times! Isn't a marriage sacred if the couple trust one another, and treat their partner with respect, they are loyal, they never stray, they never commit adultery, and they are together forever ( barring major infractions on the previous criteria). I'm sorry, but I just don't see a lot of straight couples that are fulfilling those requirements of a sacred marriage.

According to Dictionary.com, here are a few definitions of the word "sacred:"

sa·cred [sey-krid]
-adjective


4. reverently dedicated to some person, purpose, or object


5. regarded with reverence

6. secured against violation, infringement, etc., as by reverence or sense of right: sacred oaths; sacred rights.

and... reverence =

rev·er·ence
noun, verb, -enced, -enc·ing.

–noun


1. a feeling or attitude of deep respect tinged with awe; veneration.


2. the outward manifestation of this feeling: to pay reverence.


3. a gesture indicative of deep respect; an obeisance, bow, or curtsy.


So, I say, why keep a whole group of people - who are human and love just like the rest of us - keep from finding happiness? I know I look forward to the day I can plan my own wedding, I know how that desire makes me feel....and if I were told I could not have the day that I want to celebrate the love I feel for my man/the love we have for one another...I would be devastated. I don't think that anyone who has the desire to celebrate their love with friends and family, and commit to a sacred marriage between themselves and their partner, should be denied the right to do just that.

xo-k

2 comments:

  1. My friend that made that comment... I love getting her point of view on things. She and I compare/contrast our religious upbringings in a very respectful way. She's Mormon and it's cool to have her in my circle of friends. We learn a lot from each other. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing it! Her words brought on this whole other thought for me...I definitely respect her viewpoint. It was just the word choice of "sacred" applied to "marriage" that kinda got things rolling in my head lol.

    But I will say that I've never heard anyone say they wish there was a word legally equal to "marriage" for gays, but not actually the word "marriage." I just don't see that as being equal, if equality is what we are going for.

    ReplyDelete