Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Annoyance 2010

I know, right? How DARE I not VOTE!? Yeah, yeah, I know, I should’ve. I even WANTED to. I always WANT to. It’s my right. I should exercise the right that my countrymen aaaand women fought for. It’s my duty to “rock the vote” if I don’t like the way things are going, or even if I do, to make sure things keep going the way they are going.
Truth be told, I HATE politics. I absolutely despise them. I know that should be no excuse for not voting, but it is. Part of it anyways.
I guess what I REALLY despise are the politicians. A classmate in high school once said something that I found both really funny and poignant (obviously, because it, of all things, has stuck with me for the last 5 years):
The word politics is derived from “poly-“ meaning “many,” and “ticks” meaning “blood-sucking
parasites.
          -Joe S.
It’s so true! That’s what they all are! I mean, did you SEE all those ridiculous smear campaigns candidates ran against each other?! I don’t even know what issues our candidates stood for, all I know is that Carnahan lady (I THINK) said that….oh what’s his name….well whatever it is (it WILL come to me later!), she compared him to Lindsay Lohan. Really? Lindsay Lohan? How in the hell is that even appropriate? How does anyone expect me to take them seriously as a politician with a true commitment to whipping this city/state/country into shape when you’re calling your competitor Lindsay Lohan?? Yeah, he had  a DUI he lied about or whatever, but still, showing a picture of LiLo’s mugshot alongside a picture of this candidate does nothing but make me say “WTF?!”
Now that that rant is out, I want to make it clear that I know it is my responsibility to learn the stance of each politician on all the issues relevant to society and decide who best represents my own beliefs/values (though I can’t say I’m convinced they HAVE values), blah, blah, blah….but I get so turned off by these ridiculous and malicious campaigns that I just tune out. I tune it ALL out. And the constant bombardment of automated messages left all day, every day, for each candidate on each issue…omg it’s absolutely exhausting. Not to mention, incredibly annoying.
So, if I’ve learned ANYTHING this week, it is to do my homework. Learn what’s going on, then go vote. Make a difference. If you don’t know what’s going on, it’s your duty to educate yourself to make an informed decision. If you DO know what’s going on, then duh, VOTE! Otherwise, stupid things happen. Things you don’t agree with happen. Things that maybe your vote would have helped avoid. Like Bristol Palin making it through these last two rounds on DWTS over both Audrina Patridge and Rick Fox, who are both OBVIOUSLY better than her (definitely did my “homework” on that one, just didn’t vote, haha)! How the hell she’s still on there now…I don’t know! But I’m guessing her mom has something to do with it! :P
Just a quick side-note: I do not consider myself a part of ANY political party. I guess if you HAD to label me, I’d be a pretty liberal republican. Or conservative democrat? Or something in between or outside of that! J
-xo- K

No comments:

Post a Comment