Monday, January 31, 2011

Face Time

I've decided that I am going to start taking on a few new challenges in the next couple months. In the interest of having something else to write about another day, I'm just going to share one for now. It's a Beauty Challenge! Gotta love that!

So I got the idea for this "challenge" while reading a blog posted by Bethany Joy Galeotti (of One Tree Hill fame). She talked about an issue that I think a lot of us deal with every single day, and that's oily skin. I don't know about you, but that's something that drives me crazy. Now, I don't have extremely oily skin, I'm a little bit more of combination-skinned myself, but I do get breakouts/blackheads that my normal skin care routine just never seems to be able to really take care of. And honey, lemme tell ya, I've tried everything from the usual drugstore remedies, like Neutragena/Noxema/Clearasil/etc., to ProActive, to perscription Benzacline. Nothing really did the job. So, I'm trying something new.

What's crazy is this skin care regimen is ridiculously simple, and sort of breaks the "rules" of what I thought  was proper skin care.

First of all, I'm starting my mornings with simply splashing my face with cold water. Like, icy cold! (Not so fun considering it's so damn cold outside!) But it really does help wake me up in the morning. Plus, it helps reduce any swelling or puffiness, and (according to my grandma, who told me this several years ago) it helps shrink your pores and make them less visible. That's it! No soap. No cleansers. No toners. No exfoliating. Just...cold water.

At night, I am using a cleansing oil. I know, oil, crazy right?! But so far, I really like it, and my skin is absolutely NOT oily! Bethany's blog lists a few recommended cleansing oils, but some of them aren't available in the states anymore, so I did some looking around online and found one that could be found at my local Sephora. Its called Boscia called MakeUp-BreakUp Cool Cleansing Oil, and bonus! It meets Sephora's standard of being a natural product. What's nice about having their natural seal vs. one from a government regulated agency is that they actually have standards for what it means to be "natural." Learn more about Sephora's policy for natural products here.

Now, I've stopped using my usual moisturizer because it has SPF in it, and Bethany's blog recommended avoiding using one with SPF in it for the first four-or-so weeks of this new routine. I've yet to get a new one...and I need it! What's surprising is that my skin actually feels dryer than it used to with my old routine--crazy, considering I'm using a cleansing oil on my face daily! But I MIGHT go out for a new/recommended one today (it's iffy...there's ice outside today!!). One of the recommendations for a nighttime moisturizer is actually Extra Virgin Coconut Oil! Sounds crazy again, but hey, I may try that one out, too!

I'll let you know how it goes for me. So far (and its been about 4 days), I've noticed my face gets less oily throughout the day. Plus, the Boscia Cleansing Oil is really great at getting off my waterproof eye make-up AND getting my face clean without having to add multiple products to my routine.

Check out Bethany's blog to learn a little more about the reason why you should get rid of your stripping cleansers and switch to something like a cleansing oil. Here is another blog recommended by Bethany to read for further information. Follow Bethany on twitter, too @BethanyGaleotti

No comments:

Post a Comment